[Mplayer-users] mplayer running slow...sometimes

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 30 13:45:18 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "JB" <baumanj at union.edu>
To: <mplayer-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 4:56 AM
Subject: [Mplayer-users] mplayer running slow...sometimes

> Hello All-
>
> I am running mplayer 0.17a on my Linux Mandrake 8.0 box running on a 500
> MHz Celeron with 128 MB of RAM.  I have a Voodoo 3 3000AGP and a
> SoundBlaster 512PCI.  I am using the Linux Kernel 2.4.3-10mdk with XFree86
> version 4.0.3.  I use mplayer primarily to play DivX;-) files, and have
> found that this is the best program for doing such, but is still laggy
> sometimes.  Certain movies, like Brazil, Psycho, and The Mummy play
> flawlessly using
> x11 or sdl (-vo), while others like Sneakers, Meet the Parents, and Alien
> are choppy while using x11 or sdl.  I compiled mplayer for my machine and
> installed the codecs.  I know they are installed correctly but I feel that
> something just isint working correctly.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? These movies all play nicely in Windoze, but I am
> die-hard linux.  Please help

Have youn tried -vo xv? (xvideo extension, has hardware yuv conversion and
scaling with bilinear filter, should be possible with voodoo 3 since xf
4.0.3), and watch the numbers with % in the status line, they show cpu usage
(described in MPlayerFAQ I think), you might also want to take a look at top
to see all over cpu usage andat the last number in the status line, if it's
increasing most of the time your system or vo driver is to slow, try
pressing d to enable framedropping (it'll look choppy of course then too,
but sound will stay in sync).

--
Best Regards,
   Felix