[Mplayer-users] Bug Report: Audio corruption with recent CVS versions

Michael Hunold M.Hunold at t-online.de
Wed May 30 10:48:36 CEST 2001

Hello *,

I found the reason for the audio corruption that I
noticed with the CVS version after 09.05.01.

But I fear that it has nothing to do with
mplayer directly... 8-/

Playing any file straight from the beginning
works fine, but if you skip once the sound
gets heavily corrupted plus the video slows
down.

With the CVS version from 08.05.01 everything
works fine, the "bug" has been introduced
in the version 09.05.01.

Regarding the *current* CVS version,
the one important change is in "mplayer.c":

You defined
#define RESET_AUDIO(audio_fd) ioctl(audio_fd, SNDCTL_DSP_RESET, NULL)
at the beginning of the file and
added a call to this in lines 2049 and 2408
        RESET_AUDIO(audio_fd);

If this gets called my audio completely
corruptes -- the IOCTL within the sound driver
does not seem to work.

My mainboard is a K7VZA (KT133a based) and I
am using the on-board AC97 sound codec
with the kernel "via82cxxx" driver.

So probably it's an issue of the sound driver,
not an issue of Mplayer. In any case I will
contact the author of the "via82cxxx" driver.

I just wanted to let you know this, just in
case someone else experiences these audio
problems.

Any other comments? Perhaps it's possible
(just for the meantime) to add a configure
switch and some #ifdefs to disable these calls
for ac97 sound users.

Without these calls, Mplayer works flawlessly, too.
Can anyone tell me, why they were actually
introduced?

CU
Michael.