[Mplayer-users] Audio code & vortex

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat May 26 22:37:20 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I've managed to compile mplayer with XMMP (but with old 0.5.1, newest CVS
> refused to compile due to some asembler complications). I had to disable
> directshow (i don't know why, it didn't want to compile with it. I can send
> you gcc output if you want). mplayer works, but it plays one frame per
> second. Sound behavious like in old mplayer's sound code - doesn't desync,
> just jumps, it's jerky. It seems that XMMP OSS output uses select() :-(.
> Aureal doesn't support select(). Has anybody have some ideas?

Sorrry, I can't help. Unfortunatelly you can't understand that if other
players work (i think you tried audio-only players) it doens't mean that
mplayer can work too.

MPlayer has hard code to handle various audio buffering (read
DOCS/tech-eng.txt) so working, correct driver needed.
As linux has 10ms (100Hz) scheduling timer, it is NOT possible to decode
audio fast enough for your very small buffer.

I really can't (and so won't) help with this.
I think that your only chance is asking oss/free driver guys to increase
buffer size in the driver.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu