[Mplayer-users] Audio code & vortex

havner alien at staszic.waw.pl
Sat May 26 18:05:52 CEST 2001

On 2001.05.26 15:54 havner wrote:
>- Please tell us how MPlayer and your soundcard(s) worked together!
>
>	Gabucino

It's still "new sound code" thread.
Gabucino: you can add this infos to SOUNDCARDS.
Firstly there are OSS drivers for VORTEX, but not OSS/Free, commercial one,
and despite the fact that they sucks (no joy support, sound delay in games,
cracks problem, strange way of installing them) they work fine in mplayer
due to big audio buffer (64k). I don't like them. Aureal(.sourceforge.net)
drivers are better, but they have to little audio buffer (16k) for
mplayer's new code and sound pauses. It pauses only with mplayer. All other
aplications (if they doesn't use select()) are OK. So IT IS possible to do
good sound code. Arpi told me, that putting this kind of sound code would
be difficult to put in mplayer's architecture, but I don't belevie there's
no other way.

I got one question. In what way mplayer uses XMMP, and maybe using this lib
may help (there is something about XMMP sound code). I'm downloading XMMP
right now, but if you can give me some hints i would be gratefull.

--
Regards
Havner

alien at boss.staszic.waw.pl