[Mplayer-users] WMV1 format, and asfrecorder support...

Chris Gahan chris at ill-logic.com
Tue Mar 20 07:03:42 CET 2001

I was wondering two things...

First, is if the author had ever considered including ASFRecorder support in
mplayer, to allow people to play Windows Media streams in Linux. It works great
if I use asfrecorder to write a stream to a file, and then start mplayer before
the download is finished, since it's downloading faster than the thing can be
played.  It seems like it would be easy to hack it into a little library that
just streamed out asf/avi data.

The other thing I wanted to know is how I could get mplayer to play WMV1
formated files.  The FOURCC code is WMV1, but I don't know what codec it uses.
I tried adding it to the codecs.c file, and the only codec that would actually
try to play the file was the div3 codec ("Video in MPEG-4 v3 (really DivX)
format"). I'm assuming it's because this is the only codec where the the
bih.biCompression is forced to be div3. The other codecs just die because they
can't find the right data format.

What I see when I get it to use the div3 codec is multicoloured blocks that
shift around. So, apparently the motion part of the codec is the same... :)

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated. I'd love it if mplayer could fully
support Windows Media Player streams and codecs, as would a lot of other
people.