[Mplayer-users] What to do before version 1.0

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sat Jun 16 23:36:23 CEST 2001

Hi, Alex Kanavin!

On 2001-06-16 21:11:02 you wrote:

>> > Does using function pointers that were set up at start up result in a
>> > noticeable peroformance decrease?
>> Yep. Up to ten times the cycle count on some architectures, plus
>> prefetching problems, plus cache pollution.
>
>I think the best approach is to introduce two things:
>
>1) a ./configure option that lets the user set the architecture/cpu
>explicitly (if omitted, then the most appropriate for the current
>processor is chosen)
Such feature is present in configure:
make an export of preffered CFLAGS from "/etc/profile",
then run ./configure --disable-mmx --disable-3dnow --disable-sse
or --enable-xxx correspondedly.
>2) another ./configure option that lets the user select between
>compile-time #ifdef-style optimisation (makes faster binary for the
>particular processor) and run-time function-pointers optimisation (makes
>slower binary with all optimisation routines included, that can be run on
>any processor)
>
>That way everyone should be happy. What do you think?

The mplayer has a some imported libraries (mpeg2, opendivx) which are
synchronized every stable release of each. So it will be difficult.

Best regards! Nick (2001-06-16 21:30:02)