[Mplayer-users] What to do before version 1.0

Alex Kanavin ak at cave.hop.stu.neva.ru
Tue Jun 12 17:10:39 CEST 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, [iso-8859-2] GАbor LИnАrt wrote:

> Ehhm. I _WANT_ to view my DragonBall movies downloaded from network into
> rm files by mplayer on console ;-) Yesyes. :)

Remember yet another sad story of Streambox VCR makers? They got sued by
Real, because they wrote an equivalent of asfrecorder for realmedia.

Anyway... believe it or not, but rm file format is documented by Real
themselves in the SDK documentation. So what is left to do is to reverse
engineer pnm:// (I've done some preliminary look into that, it seems that
before actual streaming starts, player and server exchange some sort of
keys, so it might not be easy), write a converter and voila!

--
Alexander

Homepage: http://www.sensi.org/~ak/