[Mplayer-users] Audio problem: it has 'wheezing' artifacts

Alex Kanavin ak at cave.hop.stu.neva.ru
Sat Jun 9 19:17:36 CEST 2001

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Nick Kurshev wrote:

> I use screen resolution - 640x480x24bit color.

That might explain good sound. When I switch to that, I get perfect sound
too. Could you try something like 1024x768x16x85Hz?

> About sound: imho SB16 contains the word "16" even in its name and
> should have 16-bit DMA channel. It's very strange that your audio
> lacks such channel.

The "16" refers to the card's ability to play 16bit waveforms, not 16 bit
DMA. Original SB was 8 bit mono only, remember, SB pro added stereo, and
SB 16 - 16 bit sound.

As for Vibra 16X, it does not have 16 bit DMA. It's a cheap variant of
SB16, and also has other cost saving simplifications. But it's a card from
Creative, that's for sure.

> My motherboard is very cheap - Acorp 7KTA (which can works stable only
> with 200Mhz on cpu bus - non overclockable), but has ISA slot for my
> soundcard.

Mine is ASUS P2L-B, i440LX chipset. Used to be one of the best, but not
anymore. Has 2 ISA slots, which are occupied by my modem and soundcard :)

--
Alexander

Homepage: http://www.sensi.org/~ak/