[Mplayer-users] video card(s)?

mgraffam at idsi.net mgraffam at idsi.net
Thu Jul 26 23:59:26 CEST 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Kukocs wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have an s3 virge video card nowtimes, but i think it's time to buy a
> new one :)

I have an S3 Virge/DX card. Xv acceleration works on it, and it works with
Mplayer just fine :)

> i can buy an s3 savage4, i've heard it's not a good card for playing,
> but is it useable under linux / i mean, i know it works, but there is
> hardware acc. xfree 4.x driver, mplayer works fine, in full screen,
> etc./

I have an ATI Rage 128 card and a Savage 4 based card.

I'd recommend the R128. Sure, it is a little expensive, but I've seen
them selling for around $70 USD, so that isn't much above your price
range.

The R128 has hardware 3D, framebuffer support, and excellent Xv scaling.
The Savage4 has no support for 3D acceleration, and no frame buffer
support, and in my experience it pulls a bit more CPU load when doing
Xv rendering.

--
Michael Graffam (mgraffam at idsi.net)
The importance of a suburban struggle has usually been underestimated;