[Mplayer-users] Translations

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jul 21 20:57:46 CEST 2001

Hi,

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 05:35:23PM +0200, André Dahlqvist wrote:
> > I assume there is work going on to translate mplayer itself to other
> > languages? I mean, there isn't much point in just having the documentation
> > in other languages.
It's planned, but I dunno yet how. I hate locale/gettext stuff.
I think that "help wizard" messages (for example: Did you copied codecs.conf
to xyz? download codecs pack from ftp:... and install this way: ... )
should go to a new file, maybe a .h file defined as constants.
configure should have an option to choosee language, and use the proper
language helps.h file.

But I agree with LGB in that normal program messages (like 'segmentation
fault' :)) shouldn't be translated.

> Why? It does not worth I think. I'm Hungarian but I hate Hungarian softwares.
> English is the language of computing. And mplayer does not contain too
> much language dependent parts ... You must launch mplayer first. You can
> rename mplayer to mlejatszo [for Hungarian :)] but why? Any other information
it's flejátszó :)
(movie -> film. or do you mean movie -> mozgókép ? :))

> needs to be translated: docs and sub support inside mplayer. And it's done
Agree.

> or can be done easily. So what other info do you want to translate?
I think that multi-line detailed help and hint messages should be translated
too. later when GUI is integrated, they should be displayed in a nice window
with an animated picture of a wizard :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu