[MPlayer-users] Sorry

Joe Barr warthawg at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 30 08:09:03 CET 2001

Hey, Guys

Thank you for your mail, thank you for opening my eyes!
Yes, I'm really a lamer. The biggest. Now I know!

The whole thing has began a year ago. I was working on my new
article about Win2k desktop themes, when one of my friends shown
me Quake 3 Arena working on linux. It was fantastic! Really!
I wrote immediatelly an article about it. And I became a
LinuxWorld article writer! Yeah, they like such articles!
I thought I'm very good writting articles about things I
don't know. I wrote articles about various projects, including
your great stuff, mplayer. Unfortunatelly I was too lame to
understand how to install libraries, and was too lazy to read
the documentation, so I spent the whole day asking for help on
IRC and ICQ. I was really angry! Really! So I wrote the worse
article I've ever wrote. :(((  I beg your pardon!!!

I heeded your advice, yesterday I finally bought a book!
A book about Linux. Now I can at least make directories and
rename files. Hey, it's very cool! Even better than Explorer
in Windows XP! (I'm already working on an article for
LinuxWorld about this experience - Get ready!)
I have to admit that I knew NOTHING about Linux before.
Sorry again, for those bad articles all about great programs!
I already asked Mark Cappel (LinuxWorld editor) to remove my
articles from archive. Unfortunately he can't do that, he said
it's a limitation of the software used on the site. I bet he
just didn't read the manual, I don't believe it's impossible!

Back to your project, MPlayer. Today I finally read the
documentation! And it's really clear. Unfortunately, at the
time of writing that horrendous article, I've just seen
quotes from my IRC friends. I didn't even know how to view
text files under linux :(
(I wrote the article on my notebook, of course under WinXP)

I just break down and cry. I can't forgive myself so please
have mercy on my worthless soul! But then again: I'm not
eligible for your pardon :( It'd be better if I could just
fade away together with my abominable past.

Joe Barr