[MPlayer-users] NTSC fbset timings for G400 framebuffer

Daniel Nagy nagydani at mast.queensu.ca
Fri Dec 28 14:47:23 CET 2001

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 07:12:29AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> OK.  First thing that strikes me about this, is there the same risk of
> damaging a TV as there is with damaging a monitor by playing with
> timings?

Depends on the TV. As there's no such animal as a 'multisync TV', it's not
as dangerous as in the case of older analog multisync SVGA monitors, but
some TVs are sensitive, especially the older ones.

So I'd suggest to proceed with caution and if your TV set emits funny noises
(e.g. an approx. 15kHz extra-high-pitched beep) or displays some very nasty
out-of-sync picture, pull the plug. Newer TVs blank the screen if the input
signal is unusable.

> So I have read the manpage.  I wonder if you would suggest which
> parameters I should look at in trying to correct a vertical (up and
> down) roll.

I have actually managed to get a more-or-less decent picture on an NTSC set,
but I have a different video card. In the fbset doc, there are examples,
which work after minimal tweaking:

mode "ntsc-lace"
    # H: 15 kHz, V: 59 Hz
    geometry 640 400 640 400 4
    timings 69841 106 86 88 33 76 4
    bcast true
    laced true
endmode

Actually, I managed to beef the resolution up to 480 scanlines (thx, Lasse!).

Happy hacking!

--
Dan

PS: NTSC sucks. I'm in Hungary right now, watching my parents' TV and
enjoying the superior quality... :-)