[MPlayer-users] Some bugs occured at my PC

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sun Dec 23 16:23:49 CET 2001

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 05:46:31PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 06:33:40PM +0100, G?bor L?n?rt wrote:
> >
> > > Uhhh. Well it's quite dangerous thing to do this, beleive me :)
> >
> > How about disallow using VESA if user is in X? Checking $DISPLAY or
> > something like that?
> Indeed on some BIOSes using VESA over X11 is safety thing. So it depends
> on BIOS imlementation only. Thus we shouldn't check $DISPLAY anyway.

Right, but what is the point of using vo vesa over X11? If you use X,
you should use Xv, X11, DGA (depending of your driver/card abilities).
Imho DGA should be as fast as VESA. You may want to use vo vesa on console
only. I see only one benefit of vesa over other drivers: dual head capabilites
like it's written in the dox. But I think whatever that fact you want to use
vesa you shouldn't use it under X11. Since (imho) we can't check if it's
safe to use vo vesa under X11 we should disable it. Or at least we should
use a switch to enable vesa under X11. If the user find this stable, (s)he
can push to switch into the config file. Or something similar ...

- Gabor