[MPlayer-users] firewalls needed :)

Gabucino gabucino at mplayer.dev.hu
Wed Dec 19 22:24:16 CET 2001

It's the Question that drives us, D J Hawkey Jr :
> > I just wanted to know exactly what are the bad things that need patched...
> If your referring to what I snipped:
>   - For openers, you're sneers at my reference to cultural differences,
>     which I don't advocate to begin with (those that took offense seemed
>     to have missed the "may be" and "If" in my sentence), but apologized
>     for anyway - twice.
I know, but that's a thing that you shouldn't have said at all.

>   - Four "Be exacts" from you where I would have thought my comments were
>     either obvious in statement or context, or if you really had an interest,
You said: Dox is bad - ok, explain. Or better, send patch.

>        > > > (like settting up GUI - why isn't there a configuration section?)
>        > > A what? Where? How? Why?
>        > Uh-huh. Right. Disavowing knowledge always helps.
>        Learn how to read.
>     See below to finish this thought.
>     > A what? Where? How? Why?
> Isn't your reply a denial of the GUI's existence?
You must be joking.
It means I don't understand the question. What "configuration section" ?
 - the GUI has configuration panel
 - anyways, how-to-build-GUI is in TFM

> > Why the arrogance? This is not the mplayer-gabucino-suxx list. Patches
> Ho! And your comment didn't reek of arrogance, eh?
Yes, but your offtopic mails caused it, and you are annoyed? You weren't
even banned (I think I won't, but A'rpi might do it).

> I have no interest in your social problems beyond how it effects MPlayer's
> and/or its developer's public perception. And that is fading fast, too,
> as you don't seem to care a whit. Why therefore should I?
That's what I wanted to ask: why? Why do you want to change us? To make
MPlayer more popular? MPlayer users laugh about arguments like this.
You _don't_ have to care.

> > You're still on the subscribers list...
> And I'm surprised [that you haven't removed me].

> Is it that you simply like to argue, or are your really listening, and
> maybe even willing to acknowledge the general point from my original reply
> to A'rpi's post, and do something about it?
Your general point was that we, from Eastern Europe should "westernize" coz
most of our users are "western". You want to change developers to "western".

You should accept developers as they are, but at least stop writing these
mails.
Actually, I try not to write RTFM, only for users who claim to have RTFM'ed,
and for offtopic/flamer ones.

> You tell me (and the list): What is it that one of us is missing, wherein
> you feel totally justified in belittling the users,
If I wouldn't care about users, there would be no documentation in
4+ languages, no 2 language homepage, etc.

> rather than replying with a simple, curt (if not polite) answer
I usually do, so you must mean other developers.
And: do a little experiment, and search about the time the "another users
mailing list" was opened. Surprise: _users_ _here_ started to say _RTFM_
for newcomers. Just take a look at it. Guess they aren't "western" enough...

> It would save you the additional keystrokes, if nothing else, and would
> likely do more to repair the collective reputation(s) than anything else.
_Please_ save me some keystrokes and don't reply...

--
Gabucino