[Mplayer-users] Too slow playback, how to estimate speed gap?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Aug 28 21:35:27 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I compiled the latest snapshot of mplayer (+libcss & libdvdread) and
> included only framebuffer output (left out all X11-stuff as I don't have it
> on my SBC).
>
> I managed to play a movie from a DVD on a Transmeta Crusoe TM3200 400MHz.
> However, mplayer complaints that my CPU is too slow and I can believe it,
no! read it carefully! its said your _system_ is too slow. it's usually
videocard or bus speed, sometimes cpu. btw 400mhz is really slow, at
least for high-res dvd or divx.

but as framebuffer is rgb-only, it eats some more cpu (and double/triple
bus bandwith!) for yuv->rgb conversion. maybe video bandwith is too slow?
do you have MTRR set up?

> Ok, now to my question: Can I find out easily that "how much too slow" my
> system is?
yes, use -benchmark option and RTFM.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu