[Mplayer-users] bechmark on sun ultra 10

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Aug 23 14:56:38 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > The main result from the benchmark is, that sparcs
> > are great servers, but they aren't good as multimedia
> > machines (ie "slow" cpu
>
> Please note that currently MPlayer on SPARC (actually, anything != x86) is pure
> "C" code.  It does not (yet) make use of the UltraSPARCs "VIS" extensions
> (that's the SPARCs equivalent for Intel's MMX).
>
> Probably the easiest option to get VIS acceleration on UltraSPARCs is
> to add support for DCT and color space conversion using Sun's mediaLib
> (http://www.sun.com/sparc/vis/mediaLib.html) into MPlayer.  Btw.
> there's already a configure switch (--enable-mlib / --disable-mlib),
> but I have not yet tested it with MPlayer, so I currently have no idea
> if it works or not.
not.
it comes from early ages of mplayer (actually mpg12play).
as it used libmpeg2/mpeg2dec code, and it supported mlib.
but afaik this code was killed from libmpeg2 later, but the switch
is still there...

but imho it's easy to add again, if someone is interested.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu