[Mplayer-users] MPlayer behaves badly with American Pie

Owen Cheng zensoul at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 10 18:47:31 CEST 2001

Hi,

mplayer has been wonderful, but failed on an AVI I recent acquired.  I've
uploaded the first 38MB of it.  I spliced the AVI using an AVI splitter I
recently wrote, so the relevant frame index is also intact.

I don't believe this problem is platform or computer dependent, but include
my computer info anyway:

  Kernel:   Linux 2.2.16 #8 Wed Jan 24 17:08:47 EST 2001 i686 unknown
  Distrib:  Redhat 6.2 + glibc 2.1.3-22
  gcc:      gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)
  binutils: GNU assembler 2.9.5
  X11:      XFree86 4.1.0
  video:    Matrox Millennium G400 16MB
  sound:    Creative SBLive! with OSS (kernel)
  cpu:      Intel Pentium III 733MHZ

The basic problem is that I tried to seek to some point in the AVI file, but
AVI dies with this message:

> DEMUXER: Too many (33 in 8447998 bytes) audio packets in the buffer!
> (maybe you play a non-interleaved stream/file or audio codec failed)
>
> Exiting...(End of file)

The mplayer output using double verbose mode has also been uploaded:
    mplayer -v -v -ss 160 American_Pie.avi

Uploaded files:
  "American_Pie.avi"  (38.32 MB)
  "American_Pie-mplayer.out"  (451.61 kB)

You'll notice that mplayer's audio and video goes way out of sync at 163.7s,
and the audio frame count drops to 40s, and then bails out at about 49s
(actual movie time 171s).

The strange things about this AVI is that the audio frames are sparse, only
359 in the entire file, so each audio frame is huge (~260K).  I don't know
what kind of interleaving this is.  After an attempt to scan the mplayer
source to figure why it tries to read so many frames of audio at once, I
gave up and decided to increase the MAX_PACK_BYTES in demuxer.h.  Since I
was trying to seek to about 1800 seconds into the movie, it didn't work
until I increased MAX_PACK_BYTES to the combined size of all 359 audio
frames (0x6050000).

Hope this information and the small portion of AVI will help you pinpoint
the problem (maybe you already do).  If you need the entire AVI, let me
know.

--
Owen Cheng
Y1.PhD.Student