[Mplayer-users] howto DVD rip on Linux

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Thu Aug 9 18:33:18 CEST 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Arpi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > A> what are the best mp3 encoders? fixed and vbr too.
> >
> And in general? Not only free soft...
> It isn't big problem to use for example l3codeca.acm for encoding.
> (afaik it's used by windows rippers)

If I remember correctly, Lame is good for high bitrates and for VBR, but
for low (I guess, movies get rather <128kbps bitrate than higher) Fraunhofer
was superior, there. But its VBR is bad. :-(
We should check for this "MP3pro" stuff. This was designed for lower
bitrates, so it might be interesting.

However, I did not find any tests about encoding movie soundtrack (that's
something completely different than just music).

gruel