[Mplayer-users] advice on dvd rip

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Apr 11 07:15:15 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Well, I didn't hear about OpendivX yet. I know "DivX ;-)" is that format from
> the cracked mpeg4 codec. I though that cracker published all the details
> about divx;-) , complete with comparison to mpeg4?
As far as i know, Gej (the cracker) didn't publish any info.
I talked with him about the divx things (i wanted to get some info about
details to improve speed, adding postprocessing etc...) but he knowns
*nothing* about its details, he just used SoftIce (win9x debugger) to
crack it...

> Who made OpendivX then? It's probably not legal too...
Project Mayo... they used the opensource MoMuSys sample implementation (100%
conformant but very slow) as base and rewrite and optimized some parts.
And the decoder is fully rewritten from scratch using just mpeg standard's
docs, for legal reasons (they will sell it or something)

It's legal, because they didn't re-use any code from M$ codecs, everything
is written from the scratch or momusys code.
This is the reason why it never will be compatible with DivX ;-) (m$ mpg4v3)
They MUST NOT reverse engineer the M$ DLLs, so they can't get the required
information to make compatibility.

Btw Gej is member of projectMayo, but I don't know what is his job.
In the opendivx src I can't find his name... maybe just a marketing trick.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu