[Mplayer-users] my adventure with mplayer-cvs

mgraffam at idsi.net mgraffam at idsi.net
Wed Apr 4 20:47:48 CEST 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Maximo Ramos wrote:

> how can I know that? (benchmark) I thought that by using mga_vid I was
> taking full advantage of my video hardware (G200) and Xv is just
> software related, like -vo x11 .. am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong -- the Xv extension uses your card's hardware scaling
features but it does so through an XF86 extension and renders into a
window.

There may be a small amount of overhead using the Xv extension, compared
to mga_vid but it won't be noticable. This overhead will be a very small
fraction of the CPU resources required to decompress an MPEG or DivX
stream and is negligable.

--
Michael Graffam (mgraffam at idsi.net)
The importance of a suburban struggle has usually been underestimated;