[Mplayer-users] fonts

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz misiek at pld.ORG.PL
Sun Apr 1 02:03:24 CEST 2001

On/Dnia Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 12:26:45AM -0600, Arpi wrote/napisał(a)
> What about DGA? And DGA v1.0 vs. v2.0 ?
DGA from XF 4.0 (DGA2.0)

> And mga/xmga/syncfb doesn't requires libraryes,
I've enabled these, too.

> > Personaly I dislike idea of compile time options... runtime are much better.
> Yes, it will be changed in the far future... We'll move to libxmm, and
> use plugins, so dependency on external libs/drivers will be solved.
Great news for me.

> But until we do it, binary packages are near unusable, and sometimes worse
> than nothing: the user see the package, download, try, not works, forget
> mplayer or even worse: tell his friends about this *shit*.
These packages are mainly used by PLD users and right now we already have
three happy mplayer users because it's faster than avifile :) But they are
using it for too short time right now and their opinion may change.

> Is GIMP an example good enough? But I can continue the list...
I don't know since I'm using GIMP from our rpm and it works fine.
There can be problems if you mix packages form various distributions
etc.

> Why don't you do the same as Telenieko with debian packaging?
> He made the required files to allow user to make packages after some
> easy configuring process. (see DOCS/DEBIAN, and setup.sh)
src rpms are _of course_ also avilable. Just rpm --rebuild mplayer*.src.rpm
Moreover we have everything in CVS, so user can just do:
cvs -d... login etc
cd rpm/SPECS; cvs up builder; ./builder -bb mplayer.spec
to build package (builder downloads all required sources and runs rpm
to generate package).

> Anyway I will never understand why rpm -i or dpkg -i are better than
> ./configure;make;make install.
dependencies tracking, you to what package specified file belongs
automation in upgreade and other usefull things (very usefull if
you manage few servers itp)

> In the later case your system components will
> be detected, and the whole stuff will be optimized for your CPU, and
> everything will match your libs/kernel versions.
Maybe in this case it will be better but in general packages are
good thing (tm).

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz, AM2-6BONE    [ PLD GNU/Linux IPv6 ]
http://www.t17.ds.pwr.wroc.pl/~misiek/ipv6/   [ enabled ]