[MPlayer-translations] help/help_mp-it.h vs. UTF-8

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Aug 1 18:26:33 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 01:39:20AM +0200, Paul TT wrote:

> > > There you have it, this is not an UTF-8 locale.  Reconfigure your
> > > system to use a UTF-8 locale like it_IT.UTF-8.  On your Debian
> > > system you could run dpkg-reconfigure locales and make sure that
> > > the right one shows up in /etc/default/locale.  Also set shell
> > > variables like LANG and LC_ALL to this value.
> >
> > What is the status here?  If this does not get fixed, I will revert
> > the file to the last UTF-8 version.
> >
> it should have been fixed

It is not fixed.

> anyway when i svn update it, then file doesn't recognize it again as
> utf-8.
> but when i do the commit it is _indeed_ utf-8

What makes you think it is UTF-8?  Have you looked at the file in less?
In vim (my statusline shows "help/help_mp-it.h" [converted])?  Have you
checked with the 'file' command?

> can you -or someone else- check if its' really utf'ed in the repo.

It is not UTF-8:

silver:/var/tmp/mplayer_vanilla $ file file help/help_mp-it.h
help/help_mp-it.h: Non-ISO extended-ASCII C++ program text

> now my machine it's ok, after the reinstallation LANG was left as
> above, now it's all ok.

This sentence confuses me.  What is your locale now?  What is the value
of the LANG and LC_ALL environment variables, what do you have in
/etc/default/locale?

Diego