[MPlayer-mirror] content encoding configuration

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Oct 27 22:05:29 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 03:58:01PM -0400, Robert Henney wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 09:32:24PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>

> > Umm, we don't have any dynamic content, so I fail to see how this can
> > affect us.  Also note that this is not a small issue.  The Russian and
> > Chinese translation are *completely* broken, Polish is heavily affected.
>
> I could turn off adding a default charset for the virthost allowing the
> meta tags to have effect, but it may be desirable to specify the proper
> charset in the HTTP header anyhow.  I don't care much either way. :)

Yes, please turn it off for the virtual host.

> russian and polish DOCS/HTML/??/* pages are now fixed on www3 mirror, at
> least to my perspective.  I dropped these two files into place:
>
> DOCS/HTML/pl/.htaccess:
> AddDefaultCharset iso-8859-2
>
> DOCS/HTML/ru/.htaccess:
> AddDefaultCharset KOI8-R
>
> other directories that contain non iso-8859-1 content can be handled
> similarly.  seems simple enough.

HTML-single is still broken.  Besides you would have to do this every
time a new translation gets added.  Sounds like a lot of manual work.

I plan to switch the documentation to UTF-8 soon, you'd have to update
this again at this point.

I'm convinced that turning off the charset override is the right
solution, at least for the MPlayer virtual host.

Diego