[MPlayer-matrox] insmod error

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Mar 8 21:41:32 CET 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:46:13 +0100
"Ferdinand O. Tempel" <ftempel at linuxops.net> wrote:

> The kernel 2.6 port isn't officially supported by the mplayer team
> (yet). A few people actually care enough about this thing to work on it
> and support it.

Well it is somewhat official. It's just that i am not sure
what to do in future. I'd like to get mga_vid into the
kernel, but that needs a lot of clean up and i dont have
currently the time for it. (Note that my 1st priority
DMA code is also still missing).
In the mean time i'd like to get the code into the
cvs, but we have the nice problem that the kernel
changes it API like people their underwear. To provide
backwards compatibility for older kernel versions
(2 or 3 minors back) is a must which cannot be easily
done with cvs, that's why i develop it in my own
svn repo and put snapshots up.

> Since this port isn't something "mplayer official" it
> also means the documentation on using mga_vid with new kernels, and
> especially the translations is useless for you. What you're looking at
> are instructions for 2.4 kernels.

If someone has the mood and the time to review the documentation,
feel free to send either me, -matrox or -docs a patch. I'll
look that it gets into cvs.

> BTW, mga_vid works like a charm here and has been working like a charm
> since 2.6.0-test1. Since 2.6.9 a couple of changes were needed to get
> things to build, but nothing major, and it shouldn't prevent things from
> working...on a kernel.org kernel that is, who knows what SuSE does with
> its distribution kernels. I think that's the first thing I'd try:
> Replace your distro kernel with one from kernel.org and try with that.
> If that doesn't work either then you *might* have hit a bug in mga_vid
> (somehow). Else you have to look at the kernel SuSE provides, not us.

I'd rather say insmod is broken.

				Attila Kinali

--
郷に入れば郷に従え