[MPlayer-G2-dev] Codec identifier (fourcc) handling proposal

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jan 31 23:21:38 CET 2004

Hi,

> There's a need for defining the way we're handling codec identifiers, in
> G1 this wasn't such a big issue, as MEncoder could only handle AVI well.
>
> 1, input layer - demuxer
> 2, core
> 3, output layer - muxer
>
> Imho in core we should deal with fourcc's (four character codes) only,
> both for audio and video. Maybe we should define better names for audio
> codecs. You know that AVI uses twocc for audio, but others (real, qt)
> uses fourcc for that too and nut is going to handle this situation well.
>
> The input layer should wrap the known identifiers to fourccs known by
> the core.

the second parameter to fourcc/format 'commands' of codecs.conf is for this
maybe we should merge fourcc and format, to fourcc, and stuff in ' ' or
" " would be always fourcc ("1234"), numbers (0x1234 or 1234) are formats,
and the rest is fourcc too. this could be done for g1 too.

> The output layer should wrap the fourccs to the formats identifires.
>
> What do you think?

agree

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--