[MPlayer-G2-dev] Codec identifier (fourcc) handling proposal

Alex Beregszaszi alex at fsn.hu
Sat Jan 31 23:59:33 CET 2004

Hi,

There's a need for defining the way we're handling codec identifiers, in
G1 this wasn't such a big issue, as MEncoder could only handle AVI well.

1, input layer - demuxer
2, core
3, output layer - muxer

Imho in core we should deal with fourcc's (four character codes) only,
both for audio and video. Maybe we should define better names for audio
codecs. You know that AVI uses twocc for audio, but others (real, qt)
uses fourcc for that too and nut is going to handle this situation well.

The input layer should wrap the known identifiers to fourccs known by
the core.
The output layer should wrap the fourccs to the formats identifires.

What do you think?

--
Alex Beregszaszi <alex at fsn.hu>
(MPlayer Core Developer -- http://www.mplayerhq.hu/)