[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: Data communication between demuxers and UIs

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 23 16:23:17 CET 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:25:15AM +0200, Fre_ax wrote:

> >> Agreed. I see creating new channels can be a problem and thats why i
> >> think playlists should be allowed to optionally define the
> >> representation of this.
> >
> > Huh? This has nothing to do with what I said.
>
> I agree that its too early to say without knowing how lower level works.
> Got carried away from the subject. ;)

Yeah.

> In order to add new DVB channels with any of the guis one would need to
> definethings like name, frequency, polarity, satellite no, symbol rate, vpid, apid.
>
> There are plentty of ways to do this IMHO but id say dynamic config would
> stepin at some point.
>
> And no i dont mean just DVB channels but maybe also https user names,
> passwords,
> ports and maybe other streaming stuff that just cannot be treated as normal
> files.

Eh? All of these can be treated as normal files in a playlist. They
all have urls. IMO this can be done very easily for DVB channels too,
and probably should...then some kind of aliasing/playlist system could
sit on top for selecting channels.

> >> I do think that guis should not be given more than bunch of
> >> config_t's to represent the outlook of the options.
> >
> > Sorry, that's simply not possible. They have to be aware of the
> > structure in which components are connected.
>
> I think you misunderstood what i ment.
>
> I mean that each individual gui wouldnt have code like:
> // create widget for option x
> // create widget for option y
> Why ? Because i feel that not all developer would bother adding each new
> optionfor all guis. So this might lead to situation where some options are missing
> for some guis.
>
> So options would at some level before each gui would turn in to struct that
> contains enough information(text entry, check box, ...) in order to make
> guis just "render" these options.
>
> I also feel that this would be cleaner and end up with less duplicated code
> for each gui.

Arrg RTFmla (mailing list archive). This was discussed about a year
ago and already done!

> > That's not what I mean. I said an actual terminal emulator in MPlayer.
>
> So users could cd from place to place and use mplayer to play files ?
> Like xmms does ? Sounds good to me.

No. Do you know what a terminal emulator is?

> I however think that this should be optional since this would cause
> compatibility
> problems with windows and possibly other os'es with no terminal emulation.

Obviously.

Rich