[MPlayer-G2-dev] specifing visual for X11 window

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Feb 29 21:49:54 CET 2004

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 08:38:02PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been working on an OpenGL vo module for G2.
> What I need is a way to make sure the window that is passed to the
> config function is usable for OpenGL.

Is there any case where the normal native visual type for the display
wouldn't be the best? IMO the X code should always use this type of
visual anyway. And sometimes, the window will be created well before
the vo is known (think of playing in an existing window) so I think
the vo driver just has to fail if it can't use the visual given to
it...

> The best idea I had so far was adding a XVisualInfo* part to
> vo_instance_t and if it's set the window will be created using this visual.
> Would this be acceptable / do you have any other ideas (except creating
> the window in the vo module, this would give the same mess as in G1).

No, X-specific stuff is definitely not acceptable in the generic vo
api... Some of us will even be building --without-x! Of course you can
use #ifdefs but that's a mess, especially if we want vo modules to be
dynamic loaded plugins (in which case the structs need to be
binary-compatible).

Rich