[MPlayer-G2-dev] Legal issues: would companies really pay?

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri gsbarbieri at yahoo.com.br
Wed Feb 25 22:53:51 CET 2004

 --- Gabucino <gabucino at mplayerhq.hu> escreveu:
> Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > Then a second company comes along and instead of licensing from
> > mplayer, it licenses from the company who licensed from mplayer,
> for
> > 90% of the price and with bugfixes.
> As Richard said, this is nonsense.

Sorry, I'm dummy :D

> >     And you should know (I know you know) that main reason for
> mplayer
> > success is being FREE, being OPEN [FOREVER], being GPL.
> Not true, MPlayer was already the most successful media player while
> it
> wasn't even GPL (although marillat lied it as being so;).
> People use MPlayer plainly because it's so fucking good.

Yes, you have a point. It's good.
But you need to be careful with the future... nowadays many players
work (almost, eheheh) and for many users speed is not an issue anymore
(ghz machines are very common nowadays).

> > Maybe if you were BSD, many users wouldn't send you code,
> collaborating to
> > other project instead.
> BSD was just Arpi's bad wording, it'd definitely need much
> improvements to
> fit our needs. Don't think of it as "plain" BSDL.

Now I understand.

> > give it to them? So what, they will put more bad things in the
> world so
> > then you will reverse-engineer the whole thing to be able to play
> it?
> Then again, what could they add to make harm? Who cares about DRM or
> pay/view?
> Those things will fall eventually and I haven't heard any more
> arguments.

I don't think they will fall. Just if companies fall (gota communism?)
or they change their business model, which is more likely to happen,
but will take some time.

Gustavo