[MPlayer-G2-dev] dual licensing try 2

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 23 18:19:42 CET 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:22:39PM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
> > > That doesn't mean you shouldn't think.
> > We do think. It's you who doesn't think. You just act on greed.
> You said yourself that you don't want money from duallicensing, so stop
> saying this.

??

> > > It helps the developers.
> > It DOES NOT HELP THE DEVELOPERS. Unless you mean paying Arpi and
> > possibly yourself
> Dual-licensing money would be available for every developer - if they (you)
> refuse accepting it due to religious RMS-Rulez-Free-Like-Beer/Whatever reasons,
> that is entirely your problem.

Actually it's your problem when they decide not to code, or to code
their own player instead.

> > He's not saying that WE will be crippling software. Rather, we would
> > be auiding proprietary software companies in crippling their software
> > (by including DRM, no source code, etc. while taking advantage of
> > MPlayer code). This is bad!!
> We already do. The only way we won't help them is closing the source entirely.

Now you're being a complete idiot. WAAAH WAAAAAH THEY STOLE R CODE NOW
WE NOT DEVELOP ANYMORE AND U ALL LOOZE ROTFL!!! This is the way stupid
shareware authors work when their appz are cracked.

The purpose with MPlayer, and the ONLY purpose, is to make a free
movie player that works. As soon as you stop this for whatever petty
reason, YOU LOSE and "THEY" WIN (they being the proprietary lamers).
As a side goal, we should be preventing the development of non-free
software as much as possible, by (a) making MPlayer as good as
possible so no one has any reason to use something else, and (b)
taking legal action against anyone who uses MPlayer code for
proprietary purposes. But acting out in spite and revenge is just
irrational bloodlust, and these things should never come in the way of
your actual goal.

If this is about selfish purposes like getting credited and screwing
over people who "mess with you" then you should go back to the
oldskool k-rad demo scene where these ideals belong. When developing
free software, the goal is making good free software, and making sure
it's better than the proprietary junk. Not boosting your ego or
getting paid.

Rich