[MPlayer-G2-dev] the awakening, license changes and so on...

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Aug 4 17:11:02 CEST 2004

Alexander Strasser writes:
> > > Don't forget it be should the movie framework for ALL. Think about computer
> > > games and lot's of other out of movie playback applications ( as the
> > > main focus is on something else ), that can't publish their code, using
> > > MPlayer G2 for movie playback and what not.
> >
> > Games could use GPL MPlayer G2 for movie playback without having to
> > publish their code.
>
> If you mean starting just another process... this is shitty though
> possible. But guaranteed to not be used ( by many people and bigger
> projects ).

Why shouldn't a game start another process/thread to play a movie?

> > > And to get back to the first
> > > point it will never be widly accepted as an industrial standard if it excludes
> > > half of the possible uses and users.
> >
> > But what if half of the possible uses are bad (DRM, etc)?
> The possible uses don't matter, see above. For all means for all.

Sure it matters what things are used for!  What's next?  Fabricating
guns and claiming it's the people that misuse them and you've got
nothing to do with the killing?

Movie players (even DRMed ones) and guns are not the same, of course,
but I hope you get the drift of my reasoning.  People are responsible
for their actions.

If you want it to be for all, you use the BSD license, not the LGPL.
The question is why you would want to make it for all people.  There
should be something you get out of it and the good should outweigh the
bad.

Diego