[MPlayer-G2-dev] the awakening, license changes and so on...

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Wed Aug 4 03:57:02 CEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:51:46AM +0900, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > - getting g2 api accepted as 'industial standard for linux/unix video/media'
> >   something like oms, and later gstreamer and openquicktime wanted to
> >   reach, with no much success.
> >   we have to make it available for commercial users, otherwise they wont
> >   spend their time developing/porting their codecs, demuxers etc for it.
> > - getting some money/hw/sponsorship to developers who need it to be able
> >   to work on the code fulltime or at least more time.
>
> Why do you want to get commercial users onto MPlayer ?
> Just for the sponsoring ?

If a hardware player ran MPlayer's code, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
(Assuming they aren't stealing from us.  :)

I love free software.  I'd be in a different field if it weren't for
free software.  But I have no problem with quality commercial products.
There aren't enough of them out there.  My hardware DVD player actually
crashes once in a while, and seeking forward or pausing causes audio
desync _every time_.  I'd kill for a good G2 and some company to pick it
up and use it in a DVD/VCD/MPEG4 player.

--Joey

--
"There's no blood in your brain?  You're one of the lucky ones." --Chad