[MPlayer-G2-dev] the awakening, license changes and so on...

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Aug 4 02:51:46 CEST 2004

Moin,

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 04:43:06PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Is it just me or is there something burning ?
>
> hmm, you seems to be very cold to me nowdays...
> so is this burning ice or what? :)

Yeah, the temperatures outside sank below 35C... it's getting cold :)

> > It would be great to have you back, but spelling out conditions at the
> > beginning isnt IMHO the right thing. It sounds like we could not do
> > anything w/o, so please be carefull on how you write these things.
>
> g2 is/was my project, i started it from scratch, and later extended
> by code from g1. so i wonder why should i be very carefull when i came
> back? maybe i should, if you all do a great work on it since i leave,
> making it a good application, but the truth is that nobody touched the
> code since that... this was my main purpose to came back, to finish
> what i started.

Juup...No progress whatsover :(

> > BTW: did you chose this time by purpose ? Knowing that Rich is currently
> > away ?
> > I know that when he comes back and reads these mails that the whole
> > situation will explode. (you both like flaming too much)
>
> i didnt know that he is away, remember i did not read the mailing lists.
> anyway i dont really care of rich's flames^Kopinion...

Ok, didnt expect something like this from you anyways.

> - getting g2 api accepted as 'industial standard for linux/unix video/media'
>   something like oms, and later gstreamer and openquicktime wanted to
>   reach, with no much success.
>   we have to make it available for commercial users, otherwise they wont
>   spend their time developing/porting their codecs, demuxers etc for it.
> - getting some money/hw/sponsorship to developers who need it to be able
>   to work on the code fulltime or at least more time.

Why do you want to get commercial users onto MPlayer ?
Just for the sponsoring ?

> > > So, as you already could see, i don't count with Iive's and Rich's work
> > > on vo and vf layers. If they have complete, implemented solutions,
> > > i'll check, but i wont wait for them forever and keep reading the
> > > utopistic drafts with mixing multiple video streams etc.
> > > I guess they should work on g3 instead :)
> >
> > But you should count on their work. They are one of the very few people
> > who know a lot about video coding and work on OSS.
>
> i know. but they are also the reasons why g2 is still not finished.
> i can't agree any more with them making g2 api capable of every
> extreme cases including mixing from multiple video sources, backward
> playback and so on. i think it maybe a goal for g3, but not for g2,
> or g2 will end up vaporware.

ACK

> > Then g1's code has a lot of design limitations, i dont think you can get
> > around them w/o completely redesigning and reimplementing from scratch.
>
> sure. but i can get around the most important limitations.

I trust your word here :)

> > IMHO best would be to start with Rich's idea of a small proper designed
> > core that offers the basic functionality and then extend it until you
> > have what you needed and build everything else around it.
>
> i dont remember rich going for small simple core... he had overcomplicated
> (hard/impossible to implement) vf ideas.

He came up with this idea a few months ago, after you left.
He never spelled it out in a mail but we talked a few times about it
on irc.

> > Ie exactly like g1 started, just with a proper design behind
> > it and with the lessons learned.
>
> g1 was born as a 1,5 hours hack around libmpeg3.
> later replaced by dvdshow and then libmpeg2, and after some code
> coped from xmps/avifile to support divx. the whole shit was a bigugly
> hack. this is what i try to avoid in g2.

Juup.

> > What do you want to achive?
> working, usable g2
>
> > How do you want to do it ?
> quickly

Good..
You can count on my support here.
(given that i have the time :( )

> > Especialy the first one needs IMHO a clear answer.
> > Please also note that neither iive, Alex nor Diego have replied to your mail
> so what are the conclusions? they refuse to support me? ok...

Dont know. I just noticed it and was wondering why.
I know that at least Diego and iive are reading this list (alex
disapears from time to time). Also Michael didnt respond.

				Attila Kinali