[MPlayer-G2-dev] An open, standard video/audio API?

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Sun Apr 18 00:28:36 CEST 2004

Hello,

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> This is not exactly a direct answer, but also relevant in this area:
>
> We are in the midst of developing an open, liberally licensed and
> patent unencumbered container format.  It is called nut.

Great. If it won't have the dreaded 4 GB limit, I'm willing to get in :)

Which list was used as the main developer discussion forum? To get
"into" this I should probably review the archives.

> The spec is not yet completely finished but it could sure use the hand
> of a professional technical writer once it is or maybe earlier.  I
> assume that your help will be most welcome.  A free container format
> is an important part of a free multimedia infrastructure, just like
> free codecs and maybe a standard API.

Agreed. Actually a standard container format and a standard API fit
together quite well.

The way I usually go about tech writing is: gather info that's
available, structure it into the document, go get the missing info
(questions to developers, testers, etc), structure it into the document,
repeat until all info is there :)

Then go through it a couple of times for readability, and go give it to
as many readers as possible. Including developers, but mostly to those
unfamiliar with the thing.

Gather responses from developers (telling me where I got it wrong).
Gather responses from the other readers. Fix the problems.

At this point it's at least a good beta :)

Here, a draft exists already. So I should take care to understand what
it means, from the archives mostly; and if I don't understand, ask
questions. Then I should fix it so that these questions, and some others
I can think of, no longer arise :)

I've reviewed it quickly and currently don't understand much of it. I
need to see the archives before I can ask meaningful questions.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik