[MPlayer-G2-dev] An open, standard video/audio API?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sat Apr 17 23:11:40 CEST 2004

Mikhail Ramendik writes:
> I would be willing to take up the writing of the spec. Not the technical
> side of the development - I don't know *nearly* enough to do that. But I
> can glean information from programmer-speak, list discussions, etc., and
> convert it into an organized, readable document. And that's what an open
> standard spec should be, if it's to be widely adopted. (Ultimately, why
> not make it an RFC?)

This is not exactly a direct answer, but also relevant in this area:

We are in the midst of developing an open, liberally licensed and
patent unencumbered container format.  It is called nut.  The spec is
available in the MPlayer source tree in DOCS/tech/mpcf.txt or here:

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/main/DOCS/tech/mpcf.txt?rev=1.47&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

The spec is not yet completely finished but it could sure use the hand
of a professional technical writer once it is or maybe earlier.  I
assume that your help will be most welcome.  A free container format
is an important part of a free multimedia infrastructure, just like
free codecs and maybe a standard API.

Regards

Diego - local technical writer and documentation maintainer