[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: cfg.h (config layer 0 discussion)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon May 19 14:17:36 CEST 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 02:33:27PM +0300, Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:
>     Hi, Arpi!
>
> Sometime (on Monday, May 19 at 13:13) I've received something...
> >> config_group_info_t* optional subconfig (config_t*).
>
> >why???
> >forget subconfig
>
> I meant something like:
>
> config_t global_config[]={
>   {"~File", NULL, CONF_TYPE_GROUP, 0, 0, 0, file_config, NULL},
>   {"~Video", NULL, CONF_TYPE_GROUP, 0, 0, 0, video_config, NULL},
>   {"~Audio", NULL, CONF_TYPE_GROUP, 0, 0, 0, audio_config, NULL},
>   {NULL, NULL, 0, 0, 0, 0, NULL, NULL}
> }
>
> then we could add optional items (to video_config[] for example) by GUI
> not in common config but in any. :)

Huh? I don't see why this is useful. Could you explain better?

>     BTW, I don't think if GUI is only sample of UI so why don't rename
> CONF_NOGUI to CONF_NOUI ?

I think I would tend to call any UI that presents users a list of
config options (rather than just accepting commands) a "GUI", whether
it's gtk-based, some fancy framebuffer stuff, osd, (n)curses, etc.

> >> (note: not int since size_t is standard type and is _always_ the same
> >> size as any pointer - int  may have other size than  void *  on some
> >> systems).
>
> >i don't want the mess with size_t definition, it requires varios
> >platform-dependent #includes to get it.
> >since size_t is thye only non-C type in cfg.h, it's better to leave it and
> >use int. i guess we won't have structs bigger than 2 GB :)
>
>     Then at least unsigned int - it's size is at least 16 bit so max
> config_size will be 65535 bytes. But anyway compiler will put some type
> conversion code then. ;)

LOL, no, min size for int is 32 bits. If you think mplayer (or any
modern code) will have any hope of running on a 16bit system, you are
badly mistaken and need to go drink a whole crate of cola!! :))

Rich