[MPlayer-G2-dev] extra dr types (oh no not more!! :)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri May 16 23:27:34 CEST 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:36:21PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Arpi, I think I figured out what I meant for point #2...
>
> great, then re-try to explain, this is nonsence:

Haha, ok, sorry. :)

> > What I'd like to see is a way whereby the filter chain can get a
> > pointer to an area in video memory from the vo driver, then give it
> > back to the vo driver as an *export* image, i.e. specifying its own
> > pointer somewhere inside video memory and stride. Naturally this would
>
> you mean indeirect rendering? even ten the vo driver must provide a
> buffer struct, and it may have pointers/stride it in (will be ignored
> by filters but will be give back to vo driver together with export img)

I'm saying some drivers (not current mga_vid implementation, but
certainly the mga bes hardware, and probably other cards' scalers)
*don't* have to demand the image be at a particular location or have a
particular stride. Instead, they could just allocate a block of video
memory for the filter to use, and let the filter setup the origin and
stride for it, to be passed back as an export-type mpi (or some
similar mechanism).

> > only work for very flexible vo drivers, but it would be nice and
> > powerful and clean! Of course, the vo could tell the filter the
> > minimum power of 2 that would have to divide stride, and likewise how
> > aligned the origin offset would have to be...
>
> power of 2 to divide stride? wtf?

Same deal as stride alignment. For example requiring stride%16==0.

Rich