[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: GUI-related config (layer-0) metadata

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Thu May 15 15:20:36 CEST 2003

    Hi, Arpi!

Sometime (on Thursday, May 15 at 15:56) I've received something...
>this thread is for the GUI/Frontend developers!

>As we discussed in layered config draft thread, the config_t structure
>could carry some extra information to help the GUI engine to build
>settings/preferences panels runtime, for any plugin (even unknown ones).

>See what are the other options:
>- modules/plugins may have builtin GUI configuration panels, "nice" examples
>  are xmms plugins and win32 codecs (especially acm/vfw ones)
>- modules/plugins may have GUI "coded" in bloated XML description language,
>  like the one used by Mozilla.
>- export only minimal info, like option type and min/max values
>- export detailed info along basics (type/min/max): for example relative
>  position to the other options (column number?), recommended widget type,
>  short name for GUI use (for exmaple: "Postprocessing level") and so on.

>i vote for the last one.

Count my vote for the same. :)

>first option (built-in gui) is unacceptable, second is
>overcomplicated/bloated (hehe embedd mozilla into mplayer-g2 to interpret
>and run the xml gui :)), third is probably not enough.

>comments? recommendations for gui-related fields into config_t, if we
>agree on teh 4th solution?

I'm not sure if we have to add more than one field for gui-related stuff.
I'm really not very familiar with GUI widgets and I'm not sure if every
module author is very familiar. So I think we could preserve some flags
with hints for GUI (which will be clear for any author) but nothing more.
About widget type - I think it's precisely defined by option type.

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.