[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: G2 CLI/GUI and config API again - a little request.

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue May 13 17:22:06 CEST 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 11:12:33AM +0300, Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:
>     Hi, Arpi!
>
> Sometime (on Tuesday, May 13 at  8:48) I've received something...
> >>     Ok. How do you propose to pass what of streams do you want to
> >> configure from UI to vf,etc. ? Using statics for it isn't acceptable -
> >> you are one who wants to avoid statics. You may have many streams (for
> >> example, 3 mixed videos and 2 audios from different files) and you have
> >> to configure each of it. If you want to dislike all I've proposed there
> >> then, please, tell me the other way. But we __have__ to pass some stream
> >> pointer from UI/parser to vf_open_filter(). Or you want to give up the
> >> multistreaming idea, eh?
>
> >have you ever looked at test-play.c ?
>
> >no streams and such things passed (directly) to vf_open_plugins()
> >yes it's passed to vf_open_filter when opening special filter "vd"
>
> Yes, I've seen test-play.c many times, it has:
>
> static char** video_driver_list=NULL;
> static char** video_filter_list=(char**) NULL;
> etc.
>
>     With that statement you will never can get more than one video stream
> (the same for audio) - you just fixed yourself on the one and it's all.
> You want to live with that limitation forever? I don't want but you let
> me change nothing, unfortunately.

Arrg, stop and think for a moment before saying more such nonsense!!!

This is a limitation of the particular (TEST!!) player, not the API.
There's no reason your config code should know or care if the calling
program is using a static pointer to a single chain, or some sort of
multi-chain multi-context approach.

> >>     UI/config parser have to parse it's input, isn't it? What's wrong?

> >>     If we have that plugin loadable then how we can call open() if we
> >> don't dlopen() it? What's wrong?
>
> >why do you want to call its open() in config level?
>
>     See what I've said above. Only parser can tell you if you need to
> load that plugin or not. Anyway I've described then _not config_ work but
> all plugin load sequence - no difference who will call it in details, or
> test-play.c, or something else.

Yes, there is a difference. The config code should just set variables,
not load/initialize plugins. You're getting delusions of godhood
here... The config code is not the centerpiece of mplayer!

Rich