[MPlayer-G2-dev] gui - skin engine

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Thu Jun 26 08:49:29 CEST 2003

> Hi,
>
> Just checked the skin cvs of gmplayer, and there are a lot of nice skins.
agree ;)

> It makes me wonder if we will support g1 skins in g2, or the g2 gui will
> have a new skin format?

I think it would be better to extend the existing one, if there are things
to extend
at all. Another skin format will only bring incompatiblity, without having
real advantages.

> If we keep g1 format (maybe extend) then there should be a common,
> multiplatform skin loader/renderer library. If it's well written, then
> it's split to platform-independent and dependent parts.
> Ie there could be skin renderer/interface modules for Xlib, gtk, qt, win32
> etc. Afaik Faust already proted teh g1 skin loader to win32, dunno how
much
> it differs from the linux code.

My skinloader is currently only one file and not all info is loaded (fonts
etc.).
The main difference is that the G1 skinloader stores the images in png
format, while I am
converting them to desktop pixelformat to speedup rendering later.
I also do not load already existing images twice.
Attached is the header for reference. Maybe you can find some usefull design
ideas there.
What are your ideas for the next layer? Make it already platform dependant
or implement
some window manager like abstraction layer? If we design it well even gui
rendering
inside the video window (think of fbdev and vesa) should be no big deal.

Sascha