[MPlayer-G2-dev] reducing/simplifying codebase

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Jul 22 17:59:57 CEST 2003

gabucino at mplayerhq.hu writes:
 > D Richard Felker III wrote:
 > > Agree mostly, but a bit undecided... It sucks for users to have to
 > > install special libs to compile a working mplayer, especially when
 > > those libs are considered "risky" by distro maintainers, and thus not
 > > included in distros.
 > So they are gonna drop it out of MPlayer too :)
 > BTW Joe User usually installs libdvd* stuff anyways, just in case.. So we
 > might actually drop mpdvdkit.

I don't think Joe User does that, but since Joe User is such a
hypothetical person, let's not speculate any further.

We can also make a compromise here: Remove libmpdvdkit, but add a link
to it on our download page and try to document it properly, something
like "Step X: download some extra libs".  We might also build some
all-in-one packages for greater convenience, but this is just a wild
idea.

 > > > Also when we port things from g1, we should consider
 > > > - dropping .raw font support, imho freetype alone is enough.
 > > Agree totally.
 > Hold the horses ;) While personally I haven't used RAW fonts for about a year,
 > the libttf-dependancy I think is a very good reason to keep RAW fonts. And on
 > top of all the shit, only recent libttf works together with MPlayer...

A new library dependency will not be a problem for G2, it will just
have an entirely new set of library dependencies, see above.  Besides
when it will become usable and widely available moderately old libttf
libs will be enough.

Diego