[MPlayer-G2-dev] reducing/simplifying codebase

gabucino at mplayerhq.hu gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Tue Jul 22 09:21:35 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Agree mostly, but a bit undecided... It sucks for users to have to
> install special libs to compile a working mplayer, especially when
> those libs are considered "risky" by distro maintainers, and thus not
> included in distros.
So they are gonna drop it out of MPlayer too :)
BTW Joe User usually installs libdvd* stuff anyways, just in case.. So we
might actually drop mpdvdkit.

> > - libmpeg2 - it's quite broken, at least it cannot handle seeking at all
> >   and is already patched to hell to work at all work mplayer...
> And slower than libavcodec, it seems...

libmpeg2:
BENCHMARKs: VC:   0.825s VO:   1.394s A:   0.000s Sys:   0.329s =    2.548s
ffmpeg12:
BENCHMARKs: VC:   0.999s VO:   1.300s A:   0.000s Sys:   0.378s =    2.677s

libmpeg2 seems to be 5% faster (x86), can be considered marginal, for sake
of simplicity and workability.

> > Also when we port things from g1, we should consider
> > - dropping .raw font support, imho freetype alone is enough.
> Agree totally.
Hold the horses ;) While personally I haven't used RAW fonts for about a year,
the libttf-dependancy I think is a very good reason to keep RAW fonts. And on
top of all the shit, only recent libttf works together with MPlayer...

--
Gabucino
MPlayer Core Team