[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: Developing a GTK2 GUI

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Mon Aug 4 11:14:34 CEST 2003

    Hi, Arpi!

Sometime (on Saturday, August  2 at 14:31) I've received something...
>I think there wont be too much things.
>But it's sometimes possible that a module/plugin have options of type
>module_list_t, ie. a selection of other plugins/modules.
>I think this could be represented in gui by a pair of list boxes, the
>selected plugins on the left side, and the list of available modules (of
>that type) on right side. Then user can drag'n'drop (or other way
>add/remove) items from right to left, and by double-clicking on left side
>elements they can configure tehse modules (by pop-up new cofnig window).
>Or I'm just dreaming :)))

    I'm sure, you aren't dreaming! This is the same as I said when we
discussed config API. You remember it, don't you? :)  So I think it may
be done with G2 and it'll done! :)
    For above - items in left window may be reordered (even in runtime,
we discussed it too, it's about VFCTRL_SET_PARAMS control) and easily
configured (pop-up dialog).
    So, about GUI - it unable to handle CONF_TYPE_STRING_LIST config
options. I said it already. GUI will never know any of audio or video
drivers or codecs. Never ever. List of these drivers/codecs is never
present in main config_t structure. And it's first example but others may
be anywhere in modules. Do some hacks to handle some option with personal
handler is very bad - GUI maker cannot track all these options forever.
It's the reason why I always wanted to get rid of CONF_TYPE_STRING_LIST
type. Now you have the trouble with GUI. ;)

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.