[MPlayer-G2-dev] Developing a GTK2 GUI

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Aug 3 17:21:25 CEST 2003

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 07:25:23AM +0000, Charles Ezell wrote:

> >On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 04:47:49PM -0300, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> >> Wouldn't be easier if we use something like libglade to design the ui?
> >>
> >> I mean, it's good to have a window builder, but they can become ugly
> >> and non functional at a certain point, if no layout info is provided to
> >> it.
> >>
> >> However, putting too much layout info in mplayer's config would bloat
> >> it.
> >>
> >> What about have a window builder that constructs glade's xml and then
> >> one could go there and manually tweak the look.
> >>    Mplayer gtk ui could be as easy as calling libglade!
> >
> >How incredibly bloated. Something like glade is for people who don't
> >know how to code...
> >
> >Rich
>
> lol.
>
> You're not serious, are you?  I appologize if you are making a joke,
> I'm new here and still getting to know people.
>
> For those who do not know, libglade allows the creation of a GTK window and
> its
> controls from an xml file.  It is the exact opposite of code bloat...

Bloat is not just code size. It's also binary size, data size, and
speed. The bloat here is requiring libglade, libxml, etc. for a movie
player! For goodness sake!! Look how massive and slow mozilla is by
using its horrible gui layout language rather than just coding the gui
native. I'm sure libglade is nowhere near as bad, but the whole thing
is just dumb in principle. Especially if you have to write the code in
C already to build a gui from exported config data. WTF is the point
of writing mplayer config -> xml converter, then using glade to build
the gui? You could just build the gui direct from the config data...

Sorry if I sound overly fussy or argumentative. That's not my purpose.
But mplayer does things a lot different than the other players out
there, with minimal dependencies and bloat. Unlike xine, cat
/proc/`pidof mplayer`/maps doesn't spew out 300+ lines... I don't want
to discourage you from working on this -- myself and many others don't
care about gui, so it's not our place to control how you write it --
but at the same time I don't like to see senseless bloat and slowness
in the gui giving mplayer a bad reputation (like the current G1 gui
does...)

Rich