[MPlayer-dvb] Green bands/crashing with filtered DVB.

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 9 23:15:28 CEST 2010

Hi!

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Bill Pringlemeir wrote:

> This is a problem in ffmpeg.  Use of '-vfm libmpeg2' solves this
> issue... ffmpeg is probably faster.

It is not significantly faster on any system, and there were always
systems were libmpeg2 was faster

> I don't know if there is a profile '[dvb]', but I would suggest using
> this libmpeg2 decoder as it seems more robust in the face of errors.

This should clearly be posted as a patch on mplayer-devel.
(But I believe it is unlikely that you will find support, but you should
really try.)

> The symptoms are corrupt video and/or crashing.

I cannot reproduce this (DVB-T/MPEG-2 and DVB-S2/H264).

> The corrupt video persists for many frames.

I find this extremely surprising: Error correction is far supperior with
libavcodec, afair.

> Restarting mplayer or switching channels
> seems to clear the issue.  I had this issue frequently prior to
> getting a 1920x1200 monitor which allows all content to play without
> scaling; I did not understand the issue then.  I then re-encountered
> this issue when encoding video with mencoder.

> ps, if someone can verify these problems with ffmpeg please report the
> problem there.

This should be posted on -users: Given the low valume on this list, I
think it is unlikely you get much response (?).

>  I think mplayer developers will ignore this issue and
> ffmpeg want to know that this issue occurs with there program afaik.
> I haven't had time to do this but I have seen everything while
> debugging mplayer.

Allow me to add that I use mplayer to watch dvb nearly daily, and I don't
know of any decoder issues (I normally use VDPAU, but not always).

Carl Eugen