[MPlayer-dvb] Recording Transport Stream (TS) with Teletext data

Rahul Shukla rahulshukla_iitk at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 15:04:12 CEST 2005

Dear Dave,
Thanks for pointing out DVBSTREAM tool. I will check it and see if it solves.
Are you also aware of some software which can convert the whole Transport stream into Program stream which can be further authored into DVD.
Another point is that I am interested in DVB-Teletext (VBI) storage and I guess DVB-subtitles are subset of DVB-VBI standard, so I hope dvbtools/dvbstream can address that issue without any problem.
Thanks again
Rahul

Dave Chapman <dave at dchapman.com> wrote:
Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Rahul Shukla wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> I want to record a Transport stream (obtained using WinTV nexus card)
>> with Teletext data. However Mplayer is allowing only to store
>> video+audio and it is simply discarding Teletext packets.
>> What do I need to do so that Teletext data is also get stored in the
>> stored transport stream.
>> Can we convert this transport stream to Program stream?
>> I have Replex program but it do not take care of teletext data. Any
>> help or pointers in this regard will be appreciated
>> Regards
>> Rahul
>

> add the teletext and PMT pids to the list of audio or video pids,
> separated by a ",".
> Notice that although at home I have an initial working teletext
> decoder I can't commit it
> because it's currently unusable: text should be justified on both sides,
> something that
> mplayer can't do yet.

I don't think the problem is that the text needs to be justified on both
sides, it's the fact that teletext subtitles use a fixed-width font, and
the subtitles can be positioned at any location on the 40x24 character
screen.

Different broadcasters have different conventions for broadcasting
subtitles - some may left-justify the subtitles, some may centre them,
and others may use full-justification. Also, some broadcasters use
different colours to represent different voices.

My "dvbtools" project includes the "dvbsubs" package. You can download
it via CVS from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvbtools/

"dvbsubs" consists of various programs with the aim of authoring a DVD
with subtitles from a DVB broadcast with subtitles. It can also convert
the subtitles in a transport stream to a ".srt" file that can be used
with mplayer.

You could also use "dvbstream" (available at the same site) to record
from your DVB card - you may find it easier than mplayer. It is capable
of recording multiple channels from the same transponder at the same
time. Nico now does most of the maintainence of that program, and it
shares a lot of code with the DVB implementation in mplayer.

Dave.

Rahul Shukla
Researcher
HP Labs, India