[Mplayer-dvb] sync video with 2 cards (wall display)

Patrick Cernko errror at ps.uni-sb.de
Thu Jan 8 11:33:18 CET 2004

Also sprach Alexandre CONRAD zu "08.01.2004 11:20" Anno Domini:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there was a possibility to sync 2 Nexus DVB-s cards
> together so I could read for example a 1440px * 576px mpeg2 file and
> each video cards would sync together to display the image on 2 screens
> (wall display). I know this is really not the use of the card, but I was
> just wondering if there could be a trick ? Maybe nothing is done for
> that but writing such an application would be possible ? I have rev 2.2
> cards.

If you mean something like a Xinerama display, I don't think, that
possible easily. There is no way to 'split' an MPEG2 stream 'in the
middle of the screen' as the complete frame is encoded in 'one' large
structure. It might be possible to decode the stream in software and
split the decoded frames in the middle. But then you have to reencode
both picture streams to MPEG{1,2} to be able to send them through the
DVB cards. This would require a huge amount of cpu power. I think it
could easier be done with two graphics boards supporting XFree86 V4.0
Xinerama display and a good software player!

> Also, I was wondering what was that slot extention on the end of the card ?
>
> picture : http://www.hauppauge.fr/img/h580.jpg

There you can plug in an CAM (= Conditional Access Module) for
decrypting encrypted channels like the german "Premiere", french
"Canal+" or austrian "ORF".

CU
--
Patrick Cernko | mailto:errror at errror.de | http://www.errror.de
Quote of the Week: "Quis custodit custodes?