[Mplayer-dvb] Implementing DVB subtitling

Harri Forsgren hforsgre at mbnet.fi
Thu Apr 1 01:31:33 CEST 2004

Hi

I've been writing a small library for parsing and rendering DVB
subtitles. It can be downloaded from

http://koti.mbnet.fi/hforsgre/libdvbsub/libdvbsub.tar.gz

It would be nice for us finns and others, who don't have to suffer of
dubbing and don't understand all languages on earth, to be able to have
working DVB subtitling in mplayer. However I have very limited knowledge
about mplayer's internals. So I thought if someone else could write/aid
on writing the mplayer part of subtitling.

Basically subtitling can be implemented by sending PES packets to
subtitle decoder and handling callbacks telling about pages ready to be
displayed. For rendering mplayer must implement functions for drawing
horizontal lines, drawing strings and setting color maps. More
information is in libdvbsub.tar.gz.

Library is very much untested, but included program dvbsub2png seems to
work at least with finnish channels provided by YLE although colors
aren't correct.