[Mplayer-dvb] How to best play videos with 24fps

Juri Haberland juri at koschikode.com
Tue Jan 14 01:59:42 CET 2003

Steffen Barszus wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 January 2003 01:31, Juri Haberland wrote:
>> Hi Arpi, hi list,
>>
>> as some of you may have noticed, I improved the mplayer.sh script
>> provided by Martin Hoffmann.
>>
>> There is a remaining issue:
>> What is the best way to play a video with 24 fps?
>> Should I just play it as a PAL video or should I use a special switch to
>> improve things?
>>
> The DVB should be able to handle this. Maybe you should resize the resolution
> to something ntsc like , since as far as I understood it mplayer determines
> the Pal/Ntsc thing on the resolution. If you try to play these videos in Pal
> it will stutter. At least in My case in ntsc it was fine but my tv-set
> couldn't handle this ;)

Hi Steffen,

the point of my question is more, what TV norm is more close to 24 fps?
Is it PAL with 25fps or NTSC with 29.97fps? From the numbers I would
assume PAL is the way to go...

Unfortunately I cannot really test such movies, as my current VDR box
isn't fast enough :(
(As soon as I get some more money, I'll buy a faster box ;)
What would be interesting is, if the sound is still in sync after a
couple of minutes...

For now my script scales all videos that are not either 15, 30 or 29.97
fps to a PAL resolution and play these with 25 fps.

Cheers,
Juri