[Mplayer-dvb] DVB VIDEO DEVICE: : No such file or directory

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Tue Jan 7 13:37:21 CET 2003

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 11:13, Alexandre CONRAD wrote:
> >- Compile mplayer with --with-extraincdir=/path/to/DVB/include
> >- cd to /path/to/DVB/driver
> >- there do an 'make insmod'
> >- then try mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes <file>
> >- if you get an file not found again:
> >	- './makdev.napi' in DVB/driver
> >	- try again
> >- if the problem exist further I'll have a look as fast as I can
>
> Great ! That seems to work ! I tried with an MPEG1, works great. Now,
> I'm trying a DivX, and I get that error :

Fine :)

> I don't understand, I have compiled with
> "--with-win32libdir=/usr/local/src/w32codec-0.90"
>
> Isn't there the DivX codec in here ?

Please post the output of configure ... there is at the end a list of
codecs/vo's/ao's that are compiled in. Further you should post your
commandline, with that you tried it, since I think you did something wrong.

> Also, when I read that MPEG1, it's soft decoded, and going out on the
> TV, right ? It doesn't use the hardware for reading the videos, am I
> right ? Please, clarify me on that one.

No thats false. With -ao mpegpes -vo mpegpes it is directly feeded to the
mpeg-decoder of your dvb-card. You can see it on the CPU-consumtion (for DVD
on normal output I get a cpu-load of around 30% with dvb-out around 3-5%)

> The idea here, is that I want to read a DivX / MPEG4, soft decoded, then
> outputting on the TVout of my Nexus DVB-s.

It have to be realtime transcoded, so you need a powerfull CPU ( at least 800
Mhz Athlon/Duron/PIII)

So you need a commandline to do an realtime transcoding:

mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes \   <== clear I think
	    -vop lavc  \  <== realtimetranscoding
	    <file>

This will give you an output at all but it is not fullscreen and not centered,
so you have to do some scaling,letterboxing etc. Have a look at the
documemntation and try to understand what is going on. Also it could be worth
a try to search for a mplayer.sh since these scripts are trying to be
functional for every video (from the mplayer-plugin of vdr. The script from
martin hoffmann is the best I seen so far. If you don't find a good I can try
to collect them and maybe one of them can go to the TOOLS section of mplayer
(arpi?)

> Also, I tried with an MPEG2, and I get stuck at the begining. I had that
> same error using ntuxplayer (the DVB file player). Could I send you my
> video so you can analyze it ? These MPEG2s were made with a profesionnel
> Matrox Digisuite LX MAXX.
> Sometimes, MPEG2s get stuck, sometimes, they don't. But they were all
> encoded with that Matrox Digisuite.
>
> Let me know.

I have an ISDN-connection and I don't have access to thge incoming section. If
you think its a bug you have to provide a bugreport so that someone can have
a look at it. Maybe they have some resolutions the dvb don't like or the are
pal-mpeg and have ntsc-resolution or something like that. If so you have to
realtimetranscode too I guess, since for scaling it has to be transcoded. You
can find legal resolutions in the docu too.

Hope it makes some things clearer.

Greets

Steffen
--